"I Can't Wait To Be Older!"

I remember sitting in class at primary school one day with our teacher telling us about puberty and becoming a teenager. It terrified me at the time but also secretly excited me. I mean what little girl doesn't want to get bigger and taller and more beautiful. We all wanted to race through life, leave boring old primary school, be a big girl and go to big school and become a rich and famous, happily married adult who lived in a mansion and is waited on 24/7 by her loyal servants. 

I just wanted to get from A to B.

Source
When I was younger, I had my heart set on becoming a vet because I adored animals and animals adored me. But soon enough I realised a) it would take too long and I was an impatient child and b) I wasn't clever enough. Then I decided quite quickly after that I would be an author because I loved books. But after drafting up a story on the laptop I received for my 10th birthday and forcing most of my family to read it, I realised that I wasn't...quite up to scratch just yet.

And if you haven't already figured it out, being a teenager really isn't all that exciting. Its probably one of the most traumatic and excruciatingly long experiences in my life. Spots, sweat, hormones, periods and cramps. It's not all sunshine and rainbows with you going out to nightclubs in beautiful dresses and heels and being asked 'Would you care to dance?' by a handsome Prince who two hours later you are married too and riding off into the sunset with because your cool like that and anyway you have a mobile to ring for help if you get lost and you don't have to be home until like 10pm!

Now I am approaching a time in my life when very soon big changes are going to happen: The pressures of GCSEs, applying for 6th form or college or apprenticeships (which one!!!), my first job interview and learning to drive! My head is all over the place and I'm trying to focus only on the day in front of me but I keep thinking about the future. It's a scary thing and there's nothing I or anyone can do to stop it.

But I still will never understand why do so many kids say they can't wait to be older? Because I really can wait... for a long long time.

How about you?
Love Beth xx


9 Comments

  1. I totally agree with this post! I don't want to grow up 😞 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate. When we are younger we think growing up means taking charge of your own life. Reality is, it sucks! You've got a lovely blog! Just followed! :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad | Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsessed with your blog already! I'm your new stalker! I totally felt that way about a year ago. The good news is that life will push you into "adulthood" but you will figure out how to adapt -- someway. Lol. You've got this. Just take it a step at a time. =-)

    So glad you gave me your link!

    rebekahkoontzsite.com // US Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope your right! And thank you very much for that lovely compliment- it means a lot xx

      Delete
  4. This is a really fab post hun, and I can completely relate when I was younger I never knew what I wanted to do. I'd love to go back to being a child without the pressures of working full time, having less me time. The only good thing to come was after 21 years finally finishing education :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey :) thanks for leaving your link in the blog chat! you have such a lovely blog and this post in particular is pretty much my favourite kind to read (and write). I think about this all the time and I always feel like I want to tell younger people to enjoy it but they'll just be thinking the same way we did when we were their age! I look forward to seeing your future posts :)

    All the best, Saida xx
    saidacane.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Reading a comment always makes my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for stopping by and I will get back to you soon xx