Holiday Diary 2014

Well I'm back! It seems like I have been gone ages- not a week. But those long 7 days have given me my inspiration for future blog posts and the idea of where WIBAW is heading. Please tell me I'm not the only one who writes her posts in her head at night? 
Below is my holiday diary from Devon, also known as my excuse of disappearing for so long last week:  

Friday 15th August: 
Today is technically the start of my holiday even if 5 hours of it was spent in a car! We couldn't get into our cottage until 3pm so decided to take a walk around Tieghmouth as it was near to where we were staying. We walked past a cute little cafe called The Oystercatcher's so sat in there and had some lunch after waiting 50 minutes for a FREAKING ham baguette due to our order being lost! The afternoon was spent exploring our beautiful cottage location in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by free-range chickens, horses and cows. 

Saturday 16th August:
We realized a little bit too late last night that we didn't have anything to eat for breakfast tomorrow. So we had to get up and find our way to the nearest supermarket. Sounds simple right? It would be if you didn't have a broken Satnav that decided to take you round all these little country roads just big enough for one car. God forbid you met another car coming the other way! But my trusty phone came in handy, helping us to navigate through 'the maze' as we called it. We decided to spend the rest of the day up in the Dartmoor, home to the famous Dartmoor ponies. We walked around the hillside before coming to a giant rock called Haytor's Rock which we climbed. Although me being the wimp I am only got half way up before I had to come down again! 


 Sunday 17th August:
 An early start today due to my brother wanting to go to Paignton Zoo. I was a bit disappointed about it really when people have told me that it was 'one of the the best zoos in the country' but then again I'm bit funny when it comes to zoos since it is kind of classed as a prison for innocent animals who should really be roaming their natural landscape rather than behind bars just for the entertainment of people.The lake of space and enrichment for the animals kind of disturbed me.

Monday 18th August:
A nicer day today at a pretty little place called Becky Falls hailed as 'the most beautiful place to visit in Devon' and it really was! With miles of stunning woodland walks and nature trails to explore as well the places name sake the amazing waterfall deep in the heart of the forest. It was surrounded by trees and massive moss-covered boulders which were great for clambering over to reach the peek of the fall and look down into the steam of bubbling water below.



 Tuesday 19th August:
While eating in the Becky Falls cafe we thought it would be nice to book up to go kayaking the next day. So a few hours later the next day, there we were bobbing around in the water and enjoying the view. Although silly old me forgot to take the camera! It was a great way to pass the time but I did get a very soggy bottom (Mary Berry eat your heart out!). After going back to the cottage to change, we noticed that there was little pub in walking distance of us so in the evening we dinned at The Monks Retreat Inn, gorging on burgers, chips and an apple pie for dessert!


Wednesday 20th August:
A friend of my mum's recommend the Dartmouth Stream Railway and River Boat famous, award winning Round Robin trip as it is best way to explore South Devon. We got to visit the towns of Paignton, Dartmouth and Totnes while traveling around the coast line on a steam train, river boat, ferry and bus. I even spotted a seal! A tiring day but well worth the money, although don't bother with Paignton as its pretty commercialized and dirty.


Thursday 21st August:
OUR LAST DAY! We thought we would spend this precious time at Brixham harbor and after getting a little lost we found a cute little jetty to sit on by the sea and do some crabbing while my dad fished. However we both had absolutely no luck what so ever so resulted to sunbathing on a picnic blanket! We later decided to go back to Stoke Gabriel (the place we went kayaking) and had a slice of cake in the tearooms before catching 8 crabs. Finally!


Friday 22nd August:
Time to say goodbye to Devon today as we packed up and left our little cottage and the friendly farm cat Marsie that seemed to take a liking to us. We past Dawlish on the way home and popped into The Mount Pleasant Inn for a bite to eat. Over 5 hours later and a bit of traffic we were back home in Essex. 


Thanks for reading my rather long diary,
Love Beth xx
  

0 Comments