A Letter To My Best Friends




I once read that people are like waves. They trickle in and out of your life like the tide. Most are small and insignificant, disappearing almost as quick as they arrived. But some are much bigger and have more impact. They bring amazing things with them from the bottom of the ocean and scatter them across the shore, leaving little imprints in the sand that just won't go away.

And that is how I like to think about you.

You are the friends I will grow old with. The people who may not have been in my life for the longest time, but who have well and truly left their marks.

To have found people so amazingly beautiful and extraordinary as you among the seven billion people on earth makes me feel so incredibly lucky and thankful that I could simply burst.

What I ever did in my life to deserve your friendship I will never understand, but please know that I wholeheartedly love every part of you, inside and out, and that I promise to never just expect your friendship or take you for granted because you are a gift that I have been given to treasure. And maybe this whole thing is a bit over the top and soppy but I just wanted you to hear it because I probably don’t say it enough.

So thank you for all that you are, have done and will do in the future. Thank you for the sunshine you bring into my life. For the times we have laughed so hard we couldn't breathe and cried so hard we couldn't see. And for all the incredible memories, both drunk and sober, we have made in between!

Thank you for all the hugs, advice and encouragement that means so much to me. For the calls and texts that made me laugh out loud. For making me feel that even if I was a million miles away, I was never truly alone. Thank you for making the good times amazing times and the shit times just a little more bearable. For loving me for me and making me feel like I'm enough, even when I can't see it.

Thank you for choosing me. For letting me into your life and trusting me with all your stories and secrets. For giving me the kind of joy that comes from knowing you are appreciated and that someone in the world just gets you in a way not everyone will.

Thank you for your company. For making me feel so happy and whole and alive. For pushing me out of my comfort zone. And for all the things we've done together that I would never have done alone, because things were never quite as scary with you by my side.

I like me a whole lot better when I'm with you, so thanks.

You are a true blessing and one which I will never, ever take for granted. I love and appreciate and am in awe of you in ways that I could never really describe. Just know that the universe is a better place with you in it.

And I suppose the only other people I really have to thank are your parents because they brought you into this world so that you could take me through it, arm in arm, one glass of prosecco at a time. So here’s to you, my wonderful, beautiful, crazy, caring, funny and smart best friends. I love and treasure you more than you will ever know.




0 Comments